The voicemail.conf file controls the Asterisk voicemail system. It consists of three or more main sections. The first, called [general], sets the system-wide settings for voicemail. The second, called [zonemessages], affords configuring different voicemail zones, which are a collection of time and time zone settings. The third [default] and following sections affords creating one or more groups of voicemail boxes. The syntax for defining a voicemail box is :
[default] . . . mailbox => password,name,email,pager_email,options
- mailbox is the mailbox number.
- password is the numeric password that the mailbox owner will use to access her voicemail. If the user changes her password, the system will update this field directly in the file.
- name is the name of the mailbox owner. The directory uses the text in this field to allow callers to spell usernames.
- email is the email address of the mailbox owner. Asterisk can send voicemail notifications (including the voicemail message itself) to the specified email box.
- pager_email is the email address of the mailbox owner's pager or cell phone. Asterisk can send a short voicemail notification message to the specified email address.
- options is a list of options that set the mailbox owner's time zone and override the global voicemail settings. The options are attach, serveremail, tz, saycid, review, operator, callback, dialout, and exitcontext. These options should be in option=value pairs, separated by the pipe character (|). The tz option sets the user's time zone to a time zone previously defined in the [zonemessages] section of voicemail.conf.
For a complete explanation of the parameters in the [general] and [zonemessages] sections, refer to file voicemail.conf itself, which includes very detailed comments.